Teams need the unique talents and experience of all their members. Every person performs some tasks quite naturally and effectively and will typically be less adequate at other tasks. True teamwork only occurs when team members complement each other’s strengths. The Belbin Team Roles profiling identifies the strengths that individuals contribute to a team, and encourages each person to use and develop their natural behaviours, whilst managing their shortcomings or "allowable weaknesses".
The Belbin Team Roles profiling system identifies particular groups of team behaviours (with strengths and weaknesses in each) as nine "team roles". All nine roles are critical in a team if it is to operate effectively. Each team role is shaped by personality and learned behaviour. Belbin’s work has shown that irrespective of the balance of functional skills in a group, if the group does not have the right balance of team roles then the functional resources can rarely be optimally applied.
Belbin Team Roles provide the means to:
- Communicate accurately and decide what the team balance should be
- Identify the activities where individuals will be most effective
- Know the roles least suited to certain activities
- Understand self and others to value diversity.
- Self Perception Inventory – which is completed by each team member and consists of sentences that describe behaviour in the workplace
- Observers Sheets – which are completed by work colleagues in the form of a checklist of adjectives describing behaviour characteristics.
- Flexible delivery options
- Customised training solutions
- Work based assessment
- A skills recognition pathway to fast track qualifications
Facilitators all have experience as PS managers and the program provides clear pathways for further VET qualifications including Diploma of Government (Management).
Assessment is about applying the learning in the workplace, developing a useful portfolio of work and evidence and delivering real outcomes for the employer organisation, underpinned by quality coaching sessions with highly qualified and experienced Master Coach. Assessment is all practical and work based.